Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Finally: Digital video on an SLR

Just saw this news today --- Breakthrough Nikon SLR shoots standard and HD video. I bought my digital SLR, a Nikon D70 exactly 4 years ago and since then Nikon has come out with at least 5 newer models from their D300 to their D40 and not one of them has interested me in upgrading until now. And the main reason I'm finally considering an upgrade is going to be the video capability.

I must confess, I hardly even use my digital SLR anymore. I use it for special portraits of my kids during Christmas time, but I mostly use my excellent Fuji point & shoot not only for shooting everyday photos but for shooting videos as well. I slid into using the digital video piece almost by accident. I've known about digital video on these point & shoot cameras for a long time but I've always found the quality wanting. But one afternoon I took a video of my daughter using the digital camera and when I viewed it on my 24-inch monitor I thought the quality was actually not bad, not bad at all. So I started using it more and after awhile I was ditching my Sony digital camcorder as well in favor of my excellent Fuji point & shoot (model is Finepix F20 --- same sensor as the renowned F30). And we love how we can upload the videos onto YouTube and share with our friends and family.

Here's a sample of our YouTube videos from my Fuji point & shoot (warning, there's singing involved in this video). YouTube compresses the video so the quality is not the greatest, but if you go to the YouTube page for this video , there's a *Watch in High Quality* link at the bottom of the video to see a better version of the clip.



The D90 can be the start of a new phase for digital camera owners because soon we can have access to a good digital SLR that can also shoot videos including High Definition clips. I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews before I jump in and make the purchase. When I make the purchase (whether it's the D90 or some other model) you'll see me posting some of those clips. I'll be comparing those clips to my Fuji point & shoot and see how they fare and see if it's going to be worth it for me to lug around an SLR on our trips or stick with my pocket size Fuji point & shoot.

No comments: